Thursday, November 05, 2009

Shut Up and Train!!!

I had a dream last night I was running a 5K with Lance. I stayed with him for the first mile, in 6:59.52

Those were the days.

Of course, like every other race dream, I got lost and … well, thing kinda went downhill from there. At least in THIS one, I actually started on time!!!

It got me thinking …

Which would be a bigger challenge? Which has a greater chance of success?

a] Getting my average training pace below 8:00 per mile [currently ~8:30]
2] Getting my "Posts per Day" on Kickrunners below 18.00 [currently 18.12]

Getting my training pace down, would involve hills and speed work. Getting my PpD down, would involve staying off Kick [or at least being quieter] for a while.

My friend QuixoticNotions [don’t ask – I don’t know what that means, either] or QN, wondered if there even was a correlation? She’s a speedy little chatterbox, with a 1:40:50 Half marathon PR [and dropping] and a 3:28 BQ in her sights [Boston Marathon Qualifying Time]. Being a Stay-At-Home-Mom, she’s on Kick quite often, except for feeding breaks and training runs; currently maintaining at a rate of 2-dozen posts per day.

The key to success will be for me to “Shut Up and Train!” [as Disco Bob says, so eloquently]

Don’t chat about what you’re going to do, but to “Just …” well … everyone knows the rest. If I have a particularly notable workout, I’ll ping whoever would be most interested via email or FB. I’ll stay out of those non-Karmically-positive places full of mean spirited gossip and idle chit-chat; the ones that are Cesspools of Flame Warfare. Nope, I’ll visit just happy places on Kick, and sparingly at that.

That covers “Shut Up”

The “Train” part should come pretty easily.

“Hills are speedwork in disguise.” Frank Shorter (American Olympic champion)

I’ve got plenty of THOSE handy; there’s
a nice one right behind my house.

I’ll take it easy on myself, and not give myself a deadline … consider it an open-ended commitment.

Wish me luck. I’ll keep you posted, so to speak.

No comments: