Thursday, November 25, 2010

2010 Black Friday 20K Solo Relay - Prologue

It’s Virtual Comp time again [where does the time go???]

Last year I did the Mini-Half Ass [25K] also known as "
Alice's Restaurant Massacree Virtual 25K" In ’06 there was the 3rd Annual Slowtwitch Turkeyman Virtual Triathlon/Duathlon

This year I "hosted" the "
Black Friday 20K Solo Relay" for my FB friends [and anyone else who wanted to jump in].

Also known as "La Tortuga's 4x5x6" or "Run Like an Idiot" ... It’s a virtual / online competition of 4 Runs x 5K each x 6 Hours apart ... Runners may start any time, but I recommended something in the 5-7AM time frame.

HISTORY: My first coach [AKA “ La Tortuga”] would do this while on business travel ... she'd do three miles on the hotel Dreadmill in the morning, 3 more at lunch [preferably outside], ANOTHER 3 before dinner [again, preferably outside] and finish up with a final three at bedtime on the ‘Mill

She presented this to me and we made a game of it … I had YET to get the 4th leg done.

“Run Like An Idiot” comes from the Phish tune “Run Like An Antelope” specifically the line “Run like an antelope; out of control”

I've attempted it a time or two or three but I had YET to get that 4th Leg done

***

I set up an “EVENT” page on Facebook and invited all the runners / triathletes I could think of from to participate; friends from Kick, Slowtwitch, high school, college and church. I sent out maybe five dozen invites; I received two dozen “nopes” another half a dozen “maybes” and bunch of “awaiting replies” and four “yeses” [including myself]

To be fair, some of the “nopes” already had events planned or in other cases, had just run the Philly Marathon the weekend before.

For an extra treat, I made up custom bibs for the people who committed, one for each leg [so they didn’t have to re-use the same one all day] and THEY could pick their own number. I emailed them out as PDFs for the participants to print on their own and wear [or not] as they see fit. I also figured that if it was raining or snowing and our bibs got trashed, we could print another one for the scrapbook!!!

I’m a GENIUS!!!

Two of them picked hockey players:
Jenn - #9 [Maurice Richard]
Rebecca - #66 [Mario Lemieux]
Gina - #10 [she had to be different and pick Larry Bowa]

I chose #37 … I always choose #37 … Even BEFORE I saw “Clerks”

Note: Jenn’s boyfriend asked her “Why not just do a 20K?”
She replied “What fun is that???”
SHE’s a real trooper, since she’s in TOR and they DIDN’T have the day off


***

After having a “Thanksgiving dinner that couldn’t be beat” I was DEEP In Pre-Race mode ... reviewing the course[s], managing the gear, checking the talismans, dorking out on The Weather Channel [looked like a little bit of everything: warm in the morning => a little rain in the afternoon => steadily clearing but cooling], fueling & hydrating, of course. Just the same, I allowed myself a “dessert beer” just for fun and … jeez, you GOTTA be thankful, right???




[Krooked Skateboards pint glass]

Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin (Pugsley’s Signature Series)
Smashed Pumpkin is a big-bodied beer with a light coppery orange color and pleasing aroma of pumpkin and nutmeg. The OG and final Alc./Vol. provide the structure and body. Pale Ale, Wheat and Light Munich Malts combine with the natural tannin in pumpkin and the delicate spiciness of Willamette and Hallertau Hops to balance the sweetness of the fruit. To fully enjoy all the flavors, this ale is best drunk at 55 degrees Fahrenheit. Smashed Pumpkin pairs well with sharp cheeses, nuts, lamb, hearty stews and desserts like flan or pumpkin pie. Chefs find this an excellent beer to cook with in dishes such as braised short ribs.


As you can see, it’s a little thin in the head [much like myself] but that’s not all that important in this style, I don’t think. At 9% ABV, it was a bit stronger than I would have wanted on a race night, especially after the “Thanksgiving dinner that couldn’t be beat” we’d just had an hour or two before. The spiciness, caramel and brown sugar hints and the high alcohol where a good warmer on a day which had seen our first snowfall around noon

On to the First Leg >>>

No comments: