Tuesday, September 27, 2005

885 All Time Greatest Albums

XPN / World Cafe (88.5FM - xpn.org) are playing back the results of their "885 All Time Greatest Albums" listeners poll; a follow-up to last year's "885 All Time Greatest Songs."

My nominations were:
1) Quadrophenia - The Who (1973)
2) Electric Ladyland - Jimi Hendrix Experience (1968)
3) Exile on Main Street - Rolling Stones (1972)
4) London Calling - The Clash (1979)
5) Kind of Blue - Miles Davis (1959)
6) Time Out - Dave Brubeck Quartet (1959)
7) Remain in Light - Talking Heads (1980)
8) Pet Sounds - The Beach Boys (1966)
9) The Joshua Tree - U2 (1987)
10) A Ass Pocket of Whiskey - RL Burnside (1996)


I can hear the questions now ...

Randy, if you voted The Who #1, why not "Who's Next???"
Frankly, I have heard "Behind Blue Eyes" more than I ever need too. I have too much of a history with Dr. Jimmy, to let him go by.

You love the Grateful Dead and Phish. Why are they not represented in your top ten???
"American Beauty" does contain many classic Dead tunes ("Truckin'," "Friend of the Devil," " Box of Rain") but I really can't stand "Attics of My Life." Also, like many jambands, The Dead, Phish and others are better on bootlegs, and I don't think they were "invited"

Only two jazz albums???
I think jazz albums are too "hit and miss" Not consistent, track to track.

No Marley???
Sad to admit but the only Bob Marley album I could recognize would be "Legend" and that's a Greatest Hits package, truly.

Why did you ignore metal??? Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Def Leppard, etc.
1) C'mon ... it's XPN!!!
2) Much like jazz, metal albums are too much "Hit and Miss." For every "You Shook Me All Night Long," there is a "Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution."

Where are the 80's Pop Stars ... especially Van Halen and Cheap Trick???
Still playing in my head, with my dorm room flashbacks.


XPN's game plan is to play two songs each from #885 - #500, then three songs each up to the Top 25, which they will play in their entirety.

This could take weeks.

No comments: