Sunday, February 17, 2008

The Very Small Lebowski

Some people [runners, triathletes, surfers, skateboarders, artists, writers] should not bowl.

Usually I roll pretty well, but today my score after the first four frames was: 4.

In fact, the only pin I could hit, was he one on the far left ... They call it Number 7, I believe, as in "7-10 Split." After plunking down $12 to play two games [shoes included], I had paid $3 per pin. Yes, the price per pin would get better, but who knew by how much.

But as always, once you consign yourself to failure and relax, things pick up. I considered playing with D'Kid and her friends on the bumper lanes ... that was it!!!That was the problem!!! I hadn't bowled on grown-up/non-bumper lanes in about a year!!! In my mind I was playing for that last bounce.

I forgot how to aim down the middle.

My final score for Game One was 56. I lost, of course. Subtracting the 4 from the "warmup frames," I bowled at an average of 8.67 pins per frame - there was even a spare in there.

Game Two doubled Game One with a final score of 121; 177 pins on the day came to just under 7¢ a pin.

Acceptable.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Still a lot better than I can do! I'm regularly beaten by my 8 year old daughter.

Rudy Martinez said...

With or without the bumpers?

Anonymous said...

Be like me, bro, and revel in your low-point bowler status. I'll say things like "I don't want to hurt them." Or I'll switch hands from time to time. Or dip down and throw it backwards between my legs.

It makes it really fun.

And sometimes I actually knock down some pins.