I'm sure y'all have seen the deal - Facebook's viral "25 Random Things About Me"
To spare everyone the Karmic commotion of being tagged, and the "should I or shouldn't I?" pondering that comes with any chain letter ... Without further adieu:
- I was born in St. Louis; birthplace of Vincent Price and TS Eliot
- I had Scarlet Fever at age four
- I learned to drive my Grandpop’s fishing boat at age ten, because I was the only one who could be counted on to remain sober enough to dock it
- My first job was as a paperboy; my second was in a bike shop
- As a kid I wanted to be a fighter pilot. I applied to the Air Force Academy, but was told my eyesight was not even close to good enough to get in. Grades were fine, though.
- I spent two weeks on the road following The Dead in High School. I would have been at the tragic Who concert in Cincinnati, if I’d gotten a ride.
- I’m afraid of heights, but used to go up the Empire State Building and the World Trade Center with my cousin, all the time [he passed away in 1986; Donna never got to meet him]
- No one in my family has ever seen me surf
- I lived without a car in Philly for 7 years; after moving back to NJ, I still didn’t drive for 4 more.
- I’ve lived in my house here in NJ longer than any one place in my whole life. We are the original owners; it is NOT haunted – I kinda wish it was, since I’ve lived in 3 haunted houses [One was a very bad spirit who hung himself in the garage; he would open and close doors, windows and drawers]
- I’ve broken pretty much everything except my neck, my back and my hip. I think there’s no more than a 6” gap between scars, head to toe.
- I’ve never eaten Funnel Cake and I have never attempted a Sudoku puzzle.
- I make up my own words appropriatationally
- I have all of my Grandpop Walt’s paintings and some of his sketchbooks. I also have some very old books from his library including turn-of-the-century volumes of Alexandre Dumas, Charles Dickens and Mark Twain. There's also a collection of science books from 1910, in which a ton of the "facts" are no longer current.
- I have never been to DisneyWorld and have no desire to go, myself. Although Grandpa Farrell was great friends with the man I was privileged to call “Uncle Walt” … I have been to DisneyLand, though, and will take the girls to Orlando, eventually
- I would love to learn to weld. Failing that, I’d like to create in glass. I’d love to build a hot rod, if there weren’t so damn many parts.
- I have no tattoos, which surprises everyone I know
- I first pierced my ear myself on December 31, 1978, just before midnight … the next day my Mom said, “Um, okay. If you’re going to wear an earring …” and we spent ½ an hour picking one out [we went with a black diamond]
- I curse too fucking much
- When I go to Confession [at least once during Lent and once during Advent], I don’t go to my own parish
- I am the oldest of four brothers; the tiniest by 4” and 50 lbs. I’m also the only one who doesn’t play golf
- I love to watch polo. Donna and I spent 3 summers following a team here in South Jersey [Hidden Pond Polo Club] before they folded in 1996. Oddly enough, I pass by that field at least 3 times a week and it’s still a horse farm – not bulldozed and developed, thank goodness.
- I had a script written and my buddy MTB Mark were set to shoot an audition video for Survivor Australia; but I bailed when I realized I’d have been in OZ for my daughter’s first birthday. To this day, I’ll eat bugs if requested, just to entertain my kid.
- I did stand-up once and was awful. I auditioned for QVC and was awful at that, too.
- I prefer electric, but would like to learn to play ukulele and banjo
FWIW: My friend Alexis is exactly 4 times as random as me ... She did 100 Things about herself!!! You're awesome, kid!!!