Saturday, January 17, 2009

Six Degrees

It was only 5° when I trotted out this morning ... a record low, breaking the 15° mark set February 9, 2000 [there was an 8° day, in Philly, but I forget when, exactly]

I would have loved to go 5 miles [my plan only called for 4, but y'all know how I am] in 5° but my CementHead was froze. When the frosty cold dry air broke the back of my nose open and turned my snot-rockets into Extra Salty Cherry Slurpies, I knew I'd been out too long.

I think it may have gone up to 6°, when I came back. The water bottle I left on the porch wasn't frozen, but it turned to slush after I took the first sip. Pretty cool, actually!!! A wonderful science experiment [constant low temperature + a sudden drop in pressure = Instant freezing? I'm a dork] ... I know all know about "Six Degrees ..."

Electric Lemonade
1 ounce White Rum

1 ounce Vodka
1 ounce Gin
1 ounce Blue Curaçao
1 ounce Pineapple Juice
1 ounce Sprite

Mix and serve over ice in a highball glass.

As we sat at the pool bar, at the Wyndham Sugar Bay Resort in St. Thomas USVI, almost exactly ten years ago today, a lone guitarist played some funky reggae. His shiny black guitar was plugged into a nicely sized professional rig, complete with a Midi synthesizer and drum machine. Play a background rhythm track, sample a bass line loop, and then tell the machine to play a steel drum instead of an electric guitar.

Fascinating.

At the break, as I studied his set-up with much interest, he told us that he had played in Isaac Hayes’s band a couple of years before, on a tour of Europe.

D’Wife drank Electric Lemonade while I created some flow charts on the back of a few paper Bass Ale coasters.

Isaac Hayes was a guest on “Rockford Files” with Jim Garner who played an aging astronaut in “Space Cowboys” with Donald Sutherland who was an English Professor in “Animal House” which introduced us to Kevin Bacon as Chip Diller, the prick Omega pledge [“Thank you, Sir. May I have another?!”], and ROTC enlistee who gets trampled in the riot after the parade.

Clint Eastwood was also in “Space Cowboys.” Tim Matheson, who played Otter in Animal House with Kevin Bacon, was Officer Phil Sweet in the Dirty Harry film Magnum Force.

Clint Eastwood also directed “Mystic River”, a mystery starring Kevin Bacon.

Tommy Lee Jones [“Space Cowboys”] and Donald Sutherland were both in “JFK”, as was Kevin Bacon. But then, so was .. . everybody.

No comments: