Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Five Stages Of ... Running Injuries???

Denial and Isolation.
At first, we tend to deny the [injury] has taken place, and may withdraw from our usual social contacts. This stage may last a few moments, or longer.


“That did NOT just happen. No WAY!!!”
“I’ll be fine, just leave me alone for a bit.”


Anger.
The person may then be furious at the person who inflicted the hurt , or at the world, for letting it happen. He may be angry with himself for letting the event take place, even if, realistically, nothing could have stopped it.


“Fuck, fuck, fuck. FUCK!!! Fucking idiot. This is your OWN fucking fault!!! You didn’t fucking stretch properly; what the fuck did you change??? Why the fuck did you do THAT???!!!”

Bargaining.
Now the grieving person may make bargains with God, asking, “Okay … I’ll take a couple of days off and say some extra prayers if you fix this up, okay?”

Depression.
The person feels numb, although anger and sadness may remain underneath.

“What a beautiful sunrise – sigh – would have been nice to run today. Oh well.”

Acceptance.
This is when the anger, sadness and mourning have tapered off. The person simply accepts the reality of the [injury].

“I can focus on bike riding in the meantime; maybe some extra yoga & skateboarding?”

***

So that’s where I am now, one week Post-POING!!! … Sure, I have Midnight Madness 3 in three weeks and might be walking a bit of it; but I’m cool with that. I guess it’s just my turn this year.

My Zen is strong

No comments: