Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Runnerversary 2010

I’ve told this story before, so y’all know how it goes:

It was on this day, [which was also a Tuesday, as luck would have it] that I woke up around 6AM and went for a little jog with some of the "dads" in my neighborhood. 28 years later, thousands of miles, dozens of pairs of running shoes and a few triathlons & half-marathons later, I'm still at it.

This year I did something a little different. Not only did I perform my ritual run at dawn [ritual in that I do it pretty much every day, NOT that I do it only once a year], but I also emailed two of the “kids” whose dads dared me to join them on that muggy morning.

One replied: “Hey....that is great! And so classic....imagine the headbands and wristbands you guys were sporting...”

“HA!!!” I countered “I think the ‘Dads’ may have been wearing elastic terry-cloth wristbands & headbands, but I would have been sporting something a little more punk rock; a cut up concert T-shirt, perhaps??? ... This was BEFORE the Union Jack muscle shirts & shorts Def Leppard made popular”

Yeah, I definitely had my own “style” back then




Note: It wasn't until 1985 that I entered my first race - a Summer Sunset Series five-miler on Kelly Drive.

ETA: 626.8 miles from June 1, 2009 - May 31, 2010 ... about 2/3 of 2008-09

No comments: